[TR] oil pressure gizmo

Randall tr3driver at ca.rr.com
Sun Aug 24 17:41:46 MDT 2008

> How would one hook up a Summit $16 oil pressure switch like
> the one Doug Mathews found at:
> http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?autofilter=1&part
> =SUM%2DG1438&N=700+4294816030+115&autoview=sku
>
> and pdf instructions (which I can't decipher) at:
> http://static.summitracing.com/global/images/instructions/sum-
> g1438.pdf

Well, what do you want it to do?  If you just want it to kill the ignition
when there is no oil pressure, you should be able to just run a wire from
terminal B to the point side of the coil; leaving the other two terminals
open.  Of course, that also means you could use a much less expensive switch
(eg GPS107, available from TRF for $8).  But, that will also make your
engine seem harder to start, since the ignition will be disabled until the
starter turns the engine enough to build oil pressure.  You can solve that
problem by adding either a pushbutton switch or a relay, to enable the
ignition while cranking.

Unless you are also converting to an electric pump, the other contacts
aren't much use to you.

Randall