[TR] gearbox oil results

spamiam at comcast.net spamiam at comcast.net
Fri Aug 22 07:15:02 MDT 2008

>> Now, what exactly makes this "racing oil"? How is it different from
>> any normal-use oil?

> As I understand it, less detergent, more extreme pressure/anti-wear (ZDDP),
> more anti-foam. Probably higher ash content too. But it could all be hype,
> I've never particularly cared to experiment and find out.

I agree with Randall.  I have found that the VR racing oil is listed to have the contents as he said.  One thing that I have found is that there are TWO versions of the VR oil.

One is the EPA (or whatever... DOT???) certified version that has less zinc and therefore has less ZDDP.  Then there is the "off-road" version that has the "normal" amount of zinc.  The ZDDP seems to protect our tappets from an early death.   I use the off-road version of VR in the engines of my TRs, though I am going to use a ZDDP additive in the future.  I think I would be very tempted to use the VR off-road oil in my OD transmission, if I had one.  I used to have an OD and I did use the VR oil until I sold the car.\\-Tony