[TR] gearbox oil results

Randall tr3driver at ca.rr.com
Wed Aug 20 19:29:31 MDT 2008

> Now, what exactly makes this "racing oil"?  How is it different from
> any normal-use oil?

As I understand it, less detergent, more extreme pressure/anti-wear (ZDDP),
more anti-foam.  Probably higher ash content too.  But it could all be hype,
I've never particularly cared to experiment and find out.

Short story, worth everything it costs :

Way back when I first got involved in TRs, I found that the usual (cheap)
multi-weight motor oils (Castrol, Pennzoil, Quaker State, etc.) did not hold
up well.  The viscosity improver additive seemed to break down in just a few
thousand miles, leaving 10W40 oil about the consistency of water.  (A
conventional 10W40 oil starts with a base of roughly 5W oil, then adds a
"viscosity index improver" additive similar to STP to thicken it to the
rated grade.)

So, based on a recommendation from a local mechanic, I switched to 40 weight
Valvoline Racing oil.  No more viscosity breakdown (though the stuff was
like molasses in the winter time).

Fast forward a year or two, when I finally had enough nickels saved for new
bearings and rings.  I pulled the pan off to start the job then got
distracted somehow and left the car sitting with the pan off, in a "lean-to"
garage for maybe 6 months.  (ISTR the diff was busted too, so part of that
time was buying and stripping a TR4 for spare parts, then learning a TR4
diff is different, etc.)  When I finally got around to pulling off the
bearing caps, there was STILL enough oil in the galleries to drip off the
crank!

Now that proves nothing, perhaps it was just the thicker oil or whatever,
but it sure impressed the heck out of me.  I've been a believer in Valvoline
products ever since, and I believe they work well.  After two bad
experiences with Castrol over the years (once before I started using
Valvoline, the other when for some reason it became very difficult to buy VR
oil locally), I'll never go back.

My $.02, YMMV, etc.
Randall