[TR] TR4 advice needed

Bob Labuz yellowtr at adelphia.net
Wed Aug 20 17:36:23 MDT 2008

On Wednesday 20 August 2008 06:17 pm, tartanredmgb at gmail.com wrote:
> Hello list,
>
> I am trying to find a nice TR4 or 4a. Prefer a car that is in good shape
> without needing much of anything. Can anyone give me tips on what to look
> for- typical problems, defects, rust areas, and so on? Solid axle vs. IRS?
> Where is best place to look for a TR4, and what kind of money would I
> expect to pay?
>
> I haven't owned a Triumph before, always had MGs.
>
> Thanks in advance for any help you can give me!
MG,

A TR4 driver that is ready for the road but not a show car can get a good
price if the body and frame are rust free. I am guessing 10  - 12 K. Tons
more if it is original.

A 4 with a full restoration all new interior, rebuilt drive train, suspension,
brakes, etc will start at about 17K and up depending on the seller.

Projects start at about 1K and go to about 7 or 8 K depending on completeness,
rust, body damage etc.

My TR4 project cost me about 1400 to start but it was a basket case but with a
solid body, frame and drive train.

Things to look for on any 4 are rust in the frame and on on the 4A the rear
suspension and where it attaches to the frame.

Floors, sills, rocker panels, all body panels, rear fender attachment areas.
Just about anywhere where rust can grow you can find it on a 4.

Try to look for those CA cars or southern cars.

Ebay has a good selection at this time.

For preferences, my 4 is a solid axle 63. Less to deal with if something needs
replacing.

The IRS gives a better ride I hear. Also has a wood dash.

Bob