[TR] Pertronix Failure

Randall tr3driver at ca.rr.com
Mon Aug 18 09:22:31 MDT 2008

> Is there the possibility that 'upgrades' such as the
> Pertronix ignition unit, and other like it, are less reliable
> than the contact breaker points they replace?

Depends on how you define "reliable", IMO.  If "reliable" is always getting
you home, then I feel there is no doubt that points are MORE reliable.

But since I also enjoy the other benefits of electronic; what I do is carry
the parts with me to convert back to points.  It's easy enough to swap point
plates on the side of the road (and I've done it more than once).

Randall