[TR] OD lubrication

Randall tr3driver at ca.rr.com
Fri Aug 15 18:44:03 MDT 2008

> Something in the drivetrain must
> flex or torque or bend or somehow deform to allow a displacement
> mismatch between engine and wheels before those speeds match.

I disagree.  That's exactly why there is a _clutch_ in the overdrive instead
of simply sliding gears like the transmission uses.  The clutch slips during
the adaptation period to limit the shock applied to other components.

> If they are a weak or soft link in
> the physical structure they could presummably break from repeated
> flexing.

And indeed that is a common problem on the TR6, even with slow shifting (or
no) overdrive.

> Then again, the Spitfire's moving drivetrain parts are
> probably lighter than a TR's too.

Indeed.  Lots less inertia, too.

Randall