[TR] OD lubrication

Allen Hess allenhess at mgcarclub.com
Thu Aug 14 06:49:09 MDT 2008

First, I have limited experience, but I rebuilt an A type two years
ago and I think the best thing you can do is to change the oil
frequently. Frequently is subjective, but for me that may be every
two years. Also be sure to have the magnets in the OD and a magnet
plug in the trans.

A local rebuilder recommended Valvoline Racing 50W. It kicked in with
such force that I worried about the drive train and used the clutch.
This year I changed to Valvoline Racing 30W and like it better, but
still use the clutch. There were also two A-types, the later one
redesigned for softer engagement, so that may be a consideration in
selecting oil weight. I have the earlier one.

Allen Hess
TR4