[TR] now lubrication recommendations

Jim Muller jimmuller at rcn.com
Wed Aug 13 15:17:16 MDT 2008

On 13 Aug 2008 at 16:21, Craig wrote:

> What a site that would be, watching you chasing a kangaroo around

That calls to mind a software story, possibly an urban legend but
funny nevertheless, about the danger of code re-use.  It seems the
Aussie army wanted some training simulations for helicopter pilots.
So somebody thought an already-developed scatter-and-hide-behind-
rocks algorithm was exactly what kangaroos did, so they programmed it
for the visuals.  Now pilots buzzing about in the bush country would
often chase the kangaroos for fun, maybe even for chopper-handling
practice.  Imagine the pilots' surprise when after the kangaroos
scattered in the simulation, one popped back out from behind the rock
and fired a Stinger missle at the chopper.  Maybe that kangaroo urine
isn't such a good idea.

[ From Jurassic Park III -
"Be careful with that, it's T-rex, it scares some of the little ones
away but it attracts one really big one with a fin."
"This is T-rex urine?  How did you get it?"
"You don't want to know." ]

As for John E., my experience wasn't quite so happy, took a long time
and much toil to resolve.  In fairness to him, I suspect it wasn't
his fault but that of an intern he had working on the day I stopped
by to pick up a gearbox.  He did make it good as far as I know; I
haven't taken the box apart to see, but if I'm right I'd rather not
know!

I'll ask again, what oil would be good for on OD Spitfire gearbox?

Tanks,

--
Jim Muller
jimmuller at rcn.com