[TR] [6pack] Rota RB wheels

Robert Lang lang at isis.mit.edu
Tue Aug 12 10:00:34 MDT 2008

On Tue, 12 Aug 2008, Robert Lang wrote:

> On Tue, 12 Aug 2008, Craig wrote:
>
>> don't go with the 17" ...you have no suspension to with and you will brake
>> wheels or suspension parts
>> Craig
>
> ???????????????????????????????????
>
> Huh?

I don't usually answer my own questions (except late at night in the
garage... when I'm by myself), but Craig just dropped me a line on this
one.

According to Craig, the amount of suspension travel on the TR6 is limited
(full droop to full bump) and that with the combo of short suspension
travel and small sidewalls on the wheels, there's a good chance that you
can bottom the suspension on pot holes and the like and that when the
supsension bottoms you either break a wheel or the suspension mounts will
bend/break.

If you have a stock-ish suspension, there's about 6 inches of travel. If
you have things lowered, you loose bump travel (typically) so this is
where you're most likely going to get into trouble. But the suspension
bottoming would happen regardless of the wheel size...

Bottom line - buy a spare wheel or get something that you can get
replacements of/when you break one (or the tire monkey breaks one, not
that I've ever seen that!)

Thanks for the clarification, Craig!

c ya,
rml