[TR] Torqueing a TR head

Randall tr3driver at ca.rr.com
Sat Aug 9 22:43:54 MDT 2008

> Neither my Triumph Manual nor Mr Haynes make mention of
> re-torquing when hot, or after a distance covered.

The TR3 owner's manual mentions it, and I thought the TR6 owner's manual did
as well.  There is even a factory Technical Service Bulletin instructing
dealers to retorque Stag head nuts during pre-delivery inspection.

> Is this, though, this list's recommendation, borne of experience?

Most of the time, probably, it's not absolutely necessary IMO.  But, it's
cheap insurance so why not do it?

> My bolts have clean threads and
> will be lubed to help provide an accurate torque.

That's a slippery slope, as lubricants vary widely in how they modify the
torque values.  And where are you going to get torque values for your
lubricant (or any lubricant for that matter) ?

> In re-torquing, if that is what I am to do, do you back the
> nut off and bring it back up to the torque value? (Sorry to
> ask yet another dumb question.)

Yes.

Randall