[TR] automatic trans for TR3 ?

ZoboHerald at aol.com ZoboHerald at aol.com
Sat Aug 9 21:09:47 MDT 2008

In a message dated 8/9/2008 9:10:08 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
tr3driver at ca.rr.com writes:

The  first problem I see would be that the Triumphs that had autos, also  had
engines with interchangeable rear plates (so the plate could be drilled  to
match the transmission).  That was how Steve Hedke did his  conversion, using
the rear plate from a different Triumph that would bolt  up to the 6-cyl and
a BW35.
I think Steve used bits from a Triumph 2000 sedan?

Unfortunately, AFAIK, Triumph never mated an auto to the TRactor  motor;
True, if you don't count at least one prototype TR3A that Triumph built.  One
big problem they encountered was encroachment of that big old Type 35 on the
driver's footwell, etc.

Then  there's the question of whether it would fit between the frame rails.
As I  recall, Steve wrote that it was a good thing the rear plate he used put
the  gearbox at an angle, because it wouldn't have fit between the  rails
otherwise.  And TR6s are wider for at least part of the  transmission opening
than the TR3 is.

I wonder if that was a happy coincidence of using bits from the 2000, since
the engine in said cars was mounted at something like a 5 degree (?)  angle?

--Andy Mace
_http://triumph-herald.us_ (http://triumph-herald.us)

Read reviews on AOL Autos.