[TR] automatic trans for TR3 ?

Randall tr3driver at ca.rr.com
Sat Aug 9 19:06:33 MDT 2008

> I think later TRs had borg-warners as a factory option, what
> model(s) transmissions?

Stags used BW35 and BW65.

> Would they drop in or require extensive custom fabrication

Seems problematic to me.

The first problem I see would be that the Triumphs that had autos, also had
engines with interchangeable rear plates (so the plate could be drilled to
match the transmission).  That was how Steve Hedke did his conversion, using
the rear plate from a different Triumph that would bolt up to the 6-cyl and
a BW35.

Unfortunately, AFAIK, Triumph never mated an auto to the TRactor motor; and
since the bolt pattern was different for the other autos, they won't bolt
up.  Of course it would be possible to make an adapter plate, but it
requires precision layout of holes that are a long way apart.  If the
alignment isn't just right, you'll get terrible vibration.

Same problem with the flywheel; automatics use a "flex plate" with a
different hole pattern.

Then there's the question of whether it would fit between the frame rails.
As I recall, Steve wrote that it was a good thing the rear plate he used put
the gearbox at an angle, because it wouldn't have fit between the rails
otherwise.  And TR6s are wider for at least part of the transmission opening
than the TR3 is.

Randall