[TR] Fw: Hydrogen fuel.

Dave1massey at cs.com Dave1massey at cs.com
Sat Aug 2 07:59:56 MDT 2008

In a message dated 8/1/2008 10:12:30 PM Central Daylight Time,
ambritts at bellsouth.net writes:
> Very interesting discussion. Question though.......if the energy to split
> the water is carried out within the recharging system of the car.........hence
> no recognizable lost or cost and the hydrogen enters the fuel system
> unobstructed, where is the lost of benefit?

...no recognizable lost or cost?  Try leaving your alternator belt loose once
and see what happens.  The energy generated by the alternator comes from
mechanical loading on the engine.  A 100 Amp alternator will requuire nearly 2 HP
to turn at full load.  How much current is required by the hydrogen generator?

Einstein said energy is neither created or destroyed.  An alternator converts
mechanical energy to electrical energy.  There is no free lunch.

> Further to the ECU air/fuel mixture, it is my understanding that
> adjustments are made within the scope and parameters of the unit to handle the amount
> of hydrogen generated. Thus the limitation to the number of units that you can
> install. One improves, two is better, four units generate more than the
> system can handle on a normal gas engine vehicle.

In a car with electronic fuel injection the ECU will automatically adjust the
fuel to maintain a desired oxygen content in the exhaust.  This doesn't give
you ultra lean running which is the goal, it mearly reduces the amount of
gasoline to compensate for the hydrogen that has been introduced.  To get ulta
lean you will need to reprogram the ECU to run ultra leave.

In a car with carbs there is no automatic mixture adjustment.  If the carbs
are SU's or Strombergs the idle/run mixture relationship is a function of the
needle taper and you would have to make custom needles.  If you are running a
carb more typical of an American car there is a separate idle mixture
adjustment and one could crank way back on that adjustment.  But that only effects
economy at idle and at very light throttle settings.  And if you run out of
hydrogen you have to get out and change the setting cause the car won't idle.

Dave