[TR] Dealer vs Factory Options

John Macartney standardtriumph at btinternet.com
Wed Apr 30 02:55:19 MDT 2008

As I pointed out to Joe in an off-list email yesterday (and Andy Mace also later confirmed) the hard
top, overdrive, tonneau cover, wire wheels and red band tyres were *not* dealer options. They were
in fact the only line-fitted options for the TR6 at the factory. While I had little to do with
Triumph in terms of export specs in 1972 and was selling Land Rovers in Africa, ISTR that wire
wheels were specified as standard fit on all 6's for the US market in 1971ish.. If I'm wrong here,
no doubt someone will point this out? Certainly all those options were line fitted, although the
company did sometimes specify them as standard to increase buyer appeal. As Andy pointed out, some
of those options could be dealer fitted at a later date without tearing the car to pieces in the
process. Come to that, all of the options *could* have been dealer fitted using componentry from
Importer Parts Stocks but this would have substantially altered customer pricing in a dramatically
upwards direction.

Other extras such as radios, extra lighting, luggage racks, fuel locking caps et al were available
through Leonia as accessories.

Jonmac