[TR] that tin whistle

Jim Muller jimmuller at rcn.com
Sun Apr 27 16:53:56 MDT 2008

There is a point to this title.  A little child's poem my dad used to
joke about went like this:

I had a wooden whistle but it wouldn' whistle
So I bought a tin whistle now I tin whistle.

You see, I had a wooden starter but it wouldn't start.  So I bought a
new starter and told myself now I tin start.  It started the Spitfire
exactly once.  Once only.  Once was the the number of times it
started the Spitfire, not twice, nor any more than once nor less, but
once.  Now it's wooden again.

I put an ohmmeter on it and it read infinite.  A neighbor suggested
hitting it with a hammer, so I tapped it a few times and the ohmage
read out as non-infinite.  (Perhaps I must pay more 'ohmage to Lucas,
Prince of Darkness.)  Even after I pulled it from the car it wooden
spin when I applied battery directly to the input.  (Yes, very
carefully.)  And it read infinite again.  Spinning the shaft by hand
didn't change that critical state.  It seems to be dead.  At this
rate I'm glad it didn't start the car exactly twice, or I'd be stuck
somewhere.  The only stuckness I have to worry about at the moment is
that it is stuck in the driveway, blocking the GT6 that is now stuck
in the garage.

A week or so ago Fred Thomas kindly suggested I and the car needed a
beer, and not a "lite" one.  Today I tried India Brown Ale from
Dogfish Head Brewery.  Wow.  Not for the faint-of-heart, surely not
lite by any spelling.  It softened the trauma for sure.  But the
starter still wooden start.

This story is getting old.

Jim Muller
jimmuller at rcn.com