[TR] TR 2/4 block drain petcock

Randall 59tr3driver at gmail.com
Thu Apr 24 23:14:23 MDT 2008

> The original petcock on my block has pretty well had it with
> the spring corroding to nothingness.

I found it fairly easy to source a spring from the junk box, and cut it to
length with a Dremel cutoff tool.  I also lapped the tapered part of the
valve into the body a bit with rubbing compound, then cleaned and lubricated
it with silicone valve stem grease (didn't have any stopcock grease on
hand).  Smeared some silicone on the new spring as a preservative, too.
Then a new flat washer and cotter pin completed the overhaul.

The result looked original and worked great for many years (probably still
works but I haven't tried it since the car got wrecked).

Randall