[TR] Armstrong shock oil - follow up

PeterSchop at aol.com PeterSchop at aol.com
Thu Apr 24 17:44:17 MDT 2008

In an earlier post looking for oil for the lever shocks, some of the
suggestions were to use 20W hydraulic oil, motorcycle racing shock oil  and Harley
Hydraulic Fork Oil Type "B." What I ended up using was Screamin'  Eagle
Performance Heavy Oil from my local Harley dealer for $4.

After doing a little research, I found that the Harley type "B" is 10 wt,
Screamin' Eagle Performance Fork Oil is 15wt, Screamin' Eagle Racing Fork Oil is
 20wt. I also found Bel-Ray has fork oil available in 5wt, 7wt, 10wt, 15wt,
20wt and 30wt.

When I drained the oil in the Armstrong shock, I had to use a 13mm wrench  to
remove the plug on the top of the shock. After I poured the old oil out, I
used a turkey baster as a funnel to refill. Slow job as the oil has to pass
thru  the valve in the shock displacing the air inside. I used less than half of
the  pint bottle.

Peter Schoppelry

listings at AOL Autos.