[TR] SU Carb tool set

Brian Jones banc8004 at comcast.net
Wed Apr 23 06:52:02 MDT 2008

Listerati,

I bought from one of the big three *sigh* - I can't recall which - an
SU carb tool set for my TR4's H6 SUs. Its the blue plastic wallet-type,
containing 3 aluminium rods (one oval), three wire pointers, and a jet
centering 'pin'.

I had carried this 'Made in Taiwan' tool set for several thousand
miles, but had always adjusted the carbs without it.

This week, I tried to use it, and found:

The jet centering 'pin' doesn't fit in the jet - its too big.
The wire pointers which are folded back like a paperclip at one end to
fit into the set's rods when in the top of the carb...don't fit.

The jet centering pin being too large is consistent with what we found
with a club member's similar tool set at a recent tech session.
This flaw negates an important part of the carb set-up.. but I fixed
the pointers in a few minutes with needle-nose pliers.

Its annoying that these errors make the set next to useless. Its
annoying that suppliers pass these dodgy kits on to us without checking
if they are actually fit for purpose.

Does anyone know a source for a GENUINE SU carb tool set?

And...beware modern asian 'copies' of these sets. They sell for around
$25 as I recall, and the little blue plastic wallet they come in might
be the most valuable part of the kit.

Brian in Valley Forge

1963 TR4 CT 144455 L