[TR] TR3 Steering wheel shimmy

tom white tswhitez123 at hotmail.com
Sun Apr 20 08:23:11 MDT 2008

This is what I just eliminated in my 1960 TR3A.  I took it to the root of the
problem.  In my case that was run out in the wheels.  Here is the list:

1.  Check run out on front all wheels with a dial indicator.

2.  Remove front hubs and have the mounting surface trued at a machine shop.

2.5  Inspect bolt holes and mounting surface of wheels and remove any burrs,
rust, or foreign matter.

3.  Recheck front wheel run out marking the wheel with the amount at every
change in needle direction.

4.  Using a pneumatic sander grind the mounting surface of the wheel at the
high points of run out marked on the rim.  Do not get too aggressive with the
grinding.

5.  Recheck run out again.

6.  Repeat grinding and rechecks of run out until an acceptable amount of run
out is reached.

7.  Repeat the above processes on the rear wheels.

8.  Acceptable run out for me was 0.025.

My car now steers like a Cadillac.

Best regards,
Tom