[TR] TR3 Steering box bearings

Randall 59tr3driver at gmail.com
Sat Apr 19 19:58:18 MDT 2008

> And, can someone explain the difference between "End Float"
> and "Pre-Load".
> I assume end-float to mean the amount of play at the end of
> the steering shaft.

Basically, pre-load is the opposite of end float.  End float means there is
some play in the bearings (measured along the axis of the shaft), while
preload means less than zero play (meaning there is some load on the bearing
even when it's not carrying any external load, hence "pre"-load).

The goal for the steering box is to set the play to exactly zero; but as the
book notes, a small amount of pre-load is preferable to any play whatsoever.

Don't recall offhand how clear the book procedure is, but what I did was to
add shims until I could just measure some end-float (with a dial indicator),
then remove shims equal to what I measured.  Note that the screw adjustment
on the top should be backed off during this measurement, otherwise it may
cause a false reading.

Sorry, no help on alternate sources for the bearing.  But if the cage is in
good shape, I would feel comfortable replacing all of the balls (not just
some of them) with new, commercially available balls (eg McMaster-Carr).

Randall