[TR] 'chaseing' threads

Randall 59tr3driver at gmail.com
Fri Apr 18 19:52:03 MDT 2008

> Should I 'chase' the 3/8"-24 threads using the appropriate
> tap in old wheel cylinders that will be reused.  How about
> old 5-way valve, 'T' valve and brake calipers?  What about
> new  wheel cylinders?

IMO, no.  There are several reasons, but the most important is that these
are safety-critical items.  If the threads are damaged enough to require
'chasing', then they should be replaced with new.  Otherwise, you risk
finding out that the thread was critically weakened at the worst possible
time.  (IOW while trying to stop after that big truck pulled out in front of
you.)

It's also easy to damage the flare seat by running a tap into it.

> Why, then, when I retap 'new' gold colored fittings, do tiny
> shards of metal flakes result (along with a 'bright-silver'
> fittings) result?

Sounds to me like poor-quality fittings.  I wouldn't use those, either.

Randall

Checked by AVG.
5:24 PM