[TR] Sputtering 59 TR3A

Anthony Rhodes spamiam at comcast.net
Wed Apr 16 14:15:03 MDT 2008

Alex,

I had some similar problems.  I did not use NGK plugs, but that is probably a
good idea!  I had a noticeable misfire.  I checked everything.  I had new
wires (copper core), new cap, new plugs, new coil, new points, rotor, new
condenser and it still did it.  I changed the rotor again just to be sure.  No
good.

I tuned the carbs really well.  Not too lean, not too rich.  Still a misfire

I installed a Pertronix.  No change, though the timing has less jitter back
and forth when using a timing light.

I adjusted the timing, and I found something there.  Not with the timing,
though.  As I tightened the retaining clamp after I was done adjusting, I
pushed a sparkplug wire sideways in the cap and got a BIG shock.  The stock
style caps with the ignition wire getting speared by a set screw is just a bad
design.

I got a cap for a 1970 MGB (uses modern push-in wires), and some magnecore
wires (They do sell them for the TR2-4a), and THAT fixed it up.  The car runs
really really well.  I would advise that you get the epush-in style cap and
good ignition wires to fit it.

Then DO fix the mixture.  It is not true that "they all run rich".  At least
it should not be.  I found that RL needles on the stock TR4A w/ HS6 carbs were
just right.  They are about 5% richer than the stock TW needles.  The SM
needles are richer than the RL.  SM's would be too rich for my car, but maybe
just right for one with a mild cam.

-Tony