[TR] Breaking up underload

Alex ambritts at bellsouth.net
Sun Apr 13 16:31:14 MDT 2008

Hi to everyone,
Quick question on my 59 TR3A. I have been having intermittent
misfiring/sputtering when the car is giving full throttle under load. When
stationary you can rev the engine and it climbs right up the tach. No problem.
Last week it ran so bad that the carbs were ice cold and generating so much
condensation that it stalled the engine with water. The carb domes and bodies
are 85-90 degrees. It has a heat shield on it. This weekend I did the
following because I had the parts. Replaced the points, reset the ignition
wires, changed the rotor, changed the coil (new), reset the carbs, and timing.
On start up the car runs great. After about 5 minutes, I start to develop the
sputtering when giving it gas. The car will run at 60-70 mph as long as you
don't give it excessive gas. It acts almost like it is starving for gas or has
water in the lines. Added some gas line antifreeze, no change after about
12-15 mile test run. Did the gas flow check, cleaned out the lines all the way
to the carbs, inspected the diaphragm in the mechanical pump, no leaks in the
fuel line. Removed an inline glass fuel filter to eliminate a possible
restriction there. The car runs at 178 degrees at the sending unit. Gauge
reads a little more. Checked all the plug and coil wires. Pushes a little
black smoke (running rich-needs different needles). It is running considerably
better then last week. When standing still after all this test running, you
can give it gas and it climbs right up the tach. No hesitation at all.
However, this continues to be  a stumper for me. Any suggestions?
Alex Manzo
59 TR3A
72 TR6