[TR] Brake Bleeding & Adjusting

Nolan foxtrapper at aceweb.com
Wed Apr 9 06:34:09 MDT 2008

>I have seen mention on this list of a brake bleeding method using a
>container
> half full of brake fluid.  You drop a tube from the bleeder screw into the
> container and then pump the brakes.  Or this is my take on it.
>
> Would someone please edify me on the proper way to use this method?

It's real easy, and your take on it is correct.  You put the tube from the
bleeder to the container on the ground, making sure the end of the tube is
under the surface of a little fluid in the container.  Turn the bleeder
about half a turn open.  Now pump the pedal.

Gravity and friction make it so the fluid squirts out easily when you push
the pedal down, but it's much more unwilling to go back up the tube when you
let the pedal up.  The fluid is more easily pulled from the reservoir.  This
method works superbly as a one man pump and bleed technique.

If you wish to spend money needlessly, you can buy speed-bleeders that do
the exact same thing.