[TR] Lucas's looseness limits lighting?

Dave1massey at cs.com Dave1massey at cs.com
Tue Apr 8 06:05:26 MDT 2008

In a message dated 4/7/2008 5:08:05 PM Central Daylight Time,
acekraut11 at aol.com writes:
> Possibly, but my take is a little different.? Now, forgive me if I don't
> actually have the right terminology and I will do my best to be clear in my
> descriptions.? The actual bullet ends are quite often in very good shape.? It is
> the black single and double connectors that usually degrade over time.? If,
> when I get to the total restore of my car I will keep the bullet ends but
> replace all of the rubber covered connectors.? For the most part these
> connectors are 35 plus years old and most of the electrical connections still work
> now.? I believe replacing them would keep the electrical connections working for
> a similar length of time and possible save me a bunch of work making the
> changeover to spade connectors.? Then again, maybe I will just order a new
> wiring harness from Advanced Wiring.

I'm with you, Aaron.  The bullet connectors are plated brass and other than a
little surface corrosion they will last forever.  The barrel connectors are
the parts that are more problematic.  They are formed to act as a spring and
apply the pressure to the bullets.  Over time and thermal cycling they tend to
loose tension.  Plus they also are subject to surface corrosion.  Fortunately
they are the easiest to replace.

If the bullets and the wires to which they are connected are in good shape a
little dressing with steel wool and some contact dressing and new barrel
connectors and they connections should be good for another 35 years.

Cheers

Dave