[TR] cleaning the GT6 exhaust

Jim Muller jimmuller at rcn.com
Thu Apr 3 14:26:18 MST 2008

Yay, spring is here!  I took the GT6 to work yesterday and today.

This year I'd like to get its idle exhaust cleaner.  I've tried
tweaking the carbs and the timing, but nothing helps much.  So I
wondered about running a lower octane gas, figuring it would burn
more completely.  Yesterday I tried some 89 instead of 92.  I can't
say I detect it pinging under throttle.  It does seem to idle with
less burbling.  I can't tell if the exahust smells better because it
has been so windy here these two days.

Today I had reason to take a high-speed highway run to the office.
When I shut it down it dieseled once over, something it has never
done before.  What I haven't tried yet is pull the timing back.
Frankly, I've tried setting the timing all over the map and it seems
happier set a bit earlier than the spec calls for, but it doesn't
seem to run any cleaner no matter where I set it.

So I'm open to suggestions, comments, even insults if it would help.

Tanks in advance!

Jim Muller
jimmuller at rcn.com