[TR] Tr2/3 rear-end ratios

Randall tr3driver at ca.rr.com
Wed Apr 2 17:59:22 MST 2008

> Can anyone recollect if the rear-end ratios for o/d and non-o/d cars
> in the TR2/3 range were the same? I'm aware that different ratios
> were available, but am not sure if all o/d cars had lower ratio axles.

The vast majority of OD cars had the same 3.7 ratio as the non-OD cars.

> Also, what is the recommended procedure for determining the ratio of
> a rear-end? So many turns of the pinion resulting in a complete
> revolution of the axle?

Yes, but I like to go 10 (or 20 if one side is locked) turns of the
wheel/axle.  Otherwise, it can be a bit hard to tell 3.7 turns from 4.1 (or
3.45) turns.

Another method is to remove the cover and count the teeth on the ring gear.
37 teeth = 3.7 ratio; 41 teeth = 4.1.  Don't recall the number for the 3.45
ratio offhand, but I think it's 38 (11 tooth pinion).

Randall