[TR] [6pack] Assorted Fastener Questions

Randall tr3driver at ca.rr.com
Wed Apr 2 15:26:08 MST 2008

> N197TR4 at cs.com writes:
>> I have  done away with lock washers and use Loc-Tite.  (so has a major
>> tractor  manufacturer following an extensive study)

> Kubota?

Pretty sure Joe is referring to my current employer, John Deere.

I don't know any details, but I would guess that it wasn't quite as simple
as just putting a few drops of Loctite on _all_ existing fasteners; more a
case of doing all new designs without lockwashers.  At least that's the way
it went in my little sub-company of NavCom.

But we also do things like seal custom electronics into welded housings, so
the entire unit must be discarded if a $.02 resistor fails, so what's good
for Deere may not necessarily be good for the country <g>

Joe, do you still use Loctite on things like exhaust manifold bolts ?  I
always thought it didn't work well at high temperatures ...

Randall