[TR] TR4 generator

Bob Labuz yellowtr at adelphia.net
Fri Sep 28 08:03:05 MDT 2007

On Friday 28 September 2007 08:04 am, Dave1massey at cs.com wrote:
> In a message dated 9/27/2007 5:57:03 PM Central Daylight Time,
>
> yellowtr at adelphia.net writes:
> > So I pulled the unit and took it down stairs for a bench test.
> >
> > To my surprise it ran as a motor when I touched - to either terminal! And
> > when
> > I just touched the field terminal, it really did draw some juice.
> >
> > So I guess there is a short somewhere.
>
> The dynamo should not motor with voltage applied to only the field.  Even
> if there was a fault in the field winding (a short between to windings in
> the field).  But I think you're right, there is a short.  The short is
> between the F terminal and the D terminal.  That would explain both the
> motoring and the full output under way.  you might be able to find and
> resolve it by pulling the back off of the unit.
>
> Good luck.
>
> Dave
Dave,

Randall sent me the Lucas trouble shooting guide yesterday and you are
correct. The guide states that if charging increases as RPM increases there
is a short between F and D.

I did replace the unit with a spare and everything is ok for now.

The shorted generator will be one of many winter projects I will be working on
in my spare time during the off season.

Thanks,

Bob