[TR] Interesting cooling system web page

Nolan foxtrapper at aceweb.com
Fri Sep 28 05:13:37 MDT 2007

That's a long standing wives tale.

Yes, it's true a teaspoon of slower moving water will absorb more heat in an
engine than a teaspoon of faster moving water.  But that loses track of the
fact that faster moving water brings more teaspoons into the engine.
Thermodynamically, you do better with the faster moving water in the cooling
system.  In fact, you can make the cooling system smaller with the faster
moving water.

People do understand this, without realizing it often times.  They grasp it
on the air side.  They understand that faster moving air through the
radiator takes more heat than slow moving air.  They understand that's
primarily why cars overheat in stopped traffic.  They correctly don't worry
about driving too fast to allow cooling air to stay in the radiator long
enough.  But, those same people can get all confused when you replace the
word "air" with "water".

Now cavitation in the head or waterjacket for coolant moving too fast, that
can be a real problem.  It's certainly not common.  In fact in many cases
it's not possible with standard waterpumps because they can't move the
coolant fast enough to create cavitation in the head.   But, it can happen
in certain cases.