[TR] 57 TR3 head studs not lined up?

Randall tr3driver at ca.rr.com
Thu Sep 27 23:58:44 MDT 2007

> A few weeks ago I went to put the head
> gasket on and found that the holes in the gasket didn't
> exactly line up with the holes studs.  I figured the studs
> must be bent, so I stopped and ordered new ones.  However
> after putting the new studs in I find the same problem,

Mine are always tight, but usually I can work the gasket down without
damaging it too badly.  That copper is pretty tough, and a little damage
right next to the stud hole doesn't seem to hurt anything.

I think what happens is that the stud holes in the block are not perfectly
vertical, and not perfectly located; so there is some variation from engine
to engine and the problem may be worse at the top of the studs than at the
surface of the block.

You may have to remove the studs, lay the gasket in place and then install
the studs through the gasket.

Randall