[TR] TR4 generator

Bob Labuz yellowtr at adelphia.net
Thu Sep 27 17:47:07 MDT 2007

Here is a first for me. Had the 4 out today to show the future son-in-law how
nice the car runs and on the way home, the ammeter pegged at over +30!

The red ignition light never came on and at idle the meter went back to zero.

Got the car home with no problem and thought the ammeter was broke. Switched
it and still pegs at + 30 at about 2000RPM.

Next thought was the regulator, but it seemed to be ok. Next was the
generator. I first checked the wires and noticed that the unit was real hot.
I mean hotter than the exhaust manifold!

So I pulled the unit and took it down stairs for a bench test.

To my surprise it ran as a motor when I touched - to either terminal! And when
I just touched the field terminal, it really did draw some juice.

So I guess there is a short somewhere.

As luck would have it, I had a spare, all cleaned up and ready to go.
Installed in about 10 minutes and everything seems to be ok. The car did
charge at about  +10 amps for about 2 miles but then sat down to normal.

Has anyone ever heard of this problem?

I am guessing the short is in the field windings which made the unit almost
too hot to touch.

Daughter # 2 is getting married on Saturday and the plan is to drive her to
the wedding in the 4 for pictures etc. A bride dressed in white, arriving in
a white TR4!

I hope the replacement generator lasts the 100 mile treck to Old Forge NY and
back this weekend! The only other one I have is in the 3 and that one is over
25 years old.

Bob