[TR] Petronix

Randall tr3driver at ca.rr.com
Wed Sep 26 22:26:17 MDT 2007

> Anyone know how to test a petronix unit in a TR3?

Positive or negative ground ?  For what problem ?

Although I've not tried it myself, I believe you should be able to hook a
test lamp across the two coil terminals, and look to see that it goes on and
off as you turn the engine.

Pertronix claims that the most common problem is low voltage to the unit.
But they only give directions for negative ground, which consist of removing
the red wire from the coil (leaving any other wires attached) and running a
jumper from the red wire directly to the battery + terminal.  If the engine
then starts, the problem was low voltage to the Pertronix.  But, I'll bet
this is only common on cars with ballast resistors, which would be most cars
but not the TR3.

More information at
http://www.ttalk.info/Tech/pertronix_igniters.htm

Although it's for one of those *other* cars, should be applicable to a TR3.

Randall