[TR] Bad Starter?

Randall tr3driver at ca.rr.com
Mon Sep 24 12:18:18 MDT 2007

> Woe is Me! Again!  The Six is occasionally pegging the amp
> gauge to full
> discharge when I turn the key.  When this occurs the starter
> does not turn.  The
> amp gauge also stays discharged for a moment after the key is
> turned off.  This
> is intermittent with good starts in between.  I have checked
> the battery
> cables and they look OK.
> I am thinking I have a dead short or flat spot in the
> starter.

The starter motor draws current directly from the battery rather than
through the ammeter (as it's normal current draw is far beyond what the
ammeter can indicate or carry).  So, I think you must have an intermittent
short outside the starter motor (although it might possibly be inside the
starter solenoid on top of the starter).

Take a look at the area where the white/red wire (which is from the ignition
switch) connects to the starter solenoid.  Check for anything that might
short, like cracked insulation or stray wires.  Not necessarily where the
problem is, but it's a good place to start, IMO.

Randall