[TR] carb fuel 'mist' confusion

Paul Dorsey dorpaul at negia.net
Fri Sep 21 21:11:34 MDT 2007

list,
It seems odd to me that the 'forceful mist' created by the engine sucking
about 14 parts air to 1 part gasoline needs to be highly organized as it does.
Let me runover the process and please feel free to add something if you think
it would clarify things.
    Again, this forceful mist of air/gas is sucked up out of the jet, travels
thru the venturi/carburetor/intake manifold and into the cylinder's combustion
chamber 5-6" away from where the fuel first hits the needle.  The difficult
part to understand is it simply the dispursement of the gas molecules in the
incoming stream that determines how smooth an engine runs?  Seemingly, if the
carb's needle is not centered then, at the jet, it still has the same surface
area of gasoline exposed to the suction, right?  Or is this hocus pocus?

Thanks,
Paul Dorsey
60 TR3