[TR] TR3 Engine Vent

GHaynesTR4 at aol.com GHaynesTR4 at aol.com
Fri Sep 21 11:48:27 MDT 2007

Paul,
Neither the TR3 nor TR4 engines had a closed crankcase in the US, instead
having the vent pipe at the rear of the block on the driver's side and a vented
valve cover (oil filler) cap. The shape and location of the vent pipe caused
some vacuum when the car is moving, so crankcase fumes are sucked out of the
crankcase.
Starting with the TR4A, Triumph used a closed crankcase system, including a
flat PCV valve between the valve cover and intake manifold, plus a sealed
(non-vented) oil filler cap on the valve cover, plus a felt gasket on the dipstick.
  All these pieces must be in place for the system to perform correctly, and
they don't affect the engine's operation adversely.
If you don't want to dump fumes into the environment, get a TR4A valve cover
and sealed cap, plus the PCV valve and hoses, and a felt washer for the
dipstick.   All this should be available from Moss, OK, maybe not the valve cover.
I have this setup on my 1965 TR4A and have no problem with it.
Good luck!
George Haynes