[TR] TR4a ignition advance

spamiam at comcast.net spamiam at comcast.net
Fri Sep 21 11:05:04 MDT 2007

Thanks the the info.  This will help me make some decisions about the ignition system.

I am glad you clarified the crank vs dizzy RPM.  I had initially thought it was showing crank RPM, which seemed low to me.

The dizzy RPM makes better sense.

The 2-6-3 advance is surprisingly low, It would appear that the advance is nearly "Full" all the time, and it only adds 6 crank degrees anyway!

Most of the advance units I saw for other carbs were listed for rather more than that, but maxed out at higher vac levels.

The highest mechanical advance listed in the chart you gave was 18-22 crank degrees at  3200 crank RPM.  Should I assume this is the maximum mechanical advance, or will it go up some from there even further?

BTW, 4 static + 6 vacuum + 22 mechanical = 30 total degrees, or so it would appear.

Thanks!

-Tony

From: Btmfdchn at aol.com