[TR] To vent or not to vent?

Paul Dorsey dorpaul at negia.net
Thu Sep 20 18:57:21 MDT 2007

List,
In the beginning, when I got my TR3 I also got an engine from a TR4 (which I
thought being newer meant being better, but, they were pretty much the same
engine).  Some of the unused parts were tossed and some lost.  For some
reason, I wound up using the 4's valve cover , which is vented.  I don't
remember if the 3's valve cover was vented. I might be able to still  find it!
I bet it wasn't vented and that venting it was one of the first anti-smog
things done to these car's.
    My question is, since the vc is vented (for now), shouldn't I vent it?
(Since my air filter does have a place for a air vent hose and it would be
simple to do.)  Are their other anti-smog measures I should take with my '60
model? I am fairly concerned about the environment and I am unconcerned with
originality.  However, I do not want to sacrifice economy or performance
unless it makes a great deal of difference.
Thanks,
Paul Dorsey
60 TR3A w/ a mostly TR4 motor