[TR] The Supercharger Effect

Rick patton at suscom-maine.net
Tue Sep 18 19:11:01 MDT 2007

John,

You are absolutely correct about the supercharger having a clutch. On the
dashboard where the choke button once lived is a green illuminated rocker
switch. The car runs about like an original TR6 with the switch off but
doubles in horsepower once you hit the switch. Wicked fun!

Having a clutched supercharger is purely by chance. The original
supercharger I'd planned to use was quite long and would never look as if it
belonged. Good old ebay came thru when I found two of these brand new short
blowers at bargain prices that just happened to have clutches. The clutch is
similar to an A/C compressor unit. Never dreamed that the clutch would ever
be disengaged but very pleased after hearing just how loud it is. It really
howls and would not be something you would want to listen to for very long.
On the other hand, those short bursts of incredible power are a real treat.

You can see more pictures of the install at http://topshamautoparts.com/tr6/

Rick Patton
1975 TR6sci
http://sidedrafttbi.com/