[TR] My worst car ever

John Cohen jmcoh at comcast.net
Tue Sep 18 13:17:34 MDT 2007

The free wheel also made the old Saabs extraordinarily great in snow. My
first car was a 1971 95 wagon and it was also probably my worst but I have
many fond memories of going into snow covered turns under full power,
steering with the emergency brake

John Cohen
76 TR6
Rutland VT
http://www.triumphowners.com/701

Having worked for a Saab dealership in the 60's when the Ford V4 engines
were being used, I can attest to how neat they were.  But the real
interesting innovation was the free-wheeling device that they used.  It was
a simple roller/ramp affair that allows the roller bearings to roll freely
in one direction but have to climb a ramp in the other direction.  That
caused them to lock down when the ramp became too tight for free travel.