[TR] My worst car ever

pethier at comcast.net pethier at comcast.net
Tue Sep 18 12:03:35 MDT 2007

From: <Dean.Mericas at CH2M.com>
> Just to throw my $0.02 into this discussion, my worst car was a 1970
> Rover 3500S.  Aluminum V8, bolt-on body panels (you could, in theory
> change the color of the car with a wrench), 4-wheel disc brakes (inboard
> in the rear), very comfy interior, and all sorts of electrical bells and
> whistles. It suffered an unending string of quality problems, from a
> pinion bolt in the diff that came loose at speed because the doofus at
> the factory didn't bother to bend over the retaining clip, to an
> assortment of Lucas and Smith gizmos that simply crumbled to bits.
>
> But when it was running, it was a real treat.

I had a 1966 Rover 2000TC.  Same car with a SOHC 4 engine and 4-speed manual gearbox.  Don't forget the modified DeDion rear suspension and the front suspension that called for the dampers to work backwards.

Tons of trouble, including a gearchange linkage that would go AWOL and requre the disassembly of the whole car to reach.

When it was running, it was surprsingly fast.

--
Phil Ethier  West Side  Saint Paul Minnesota  USA
1962 Triumph TR4 CT2846L, 1992 Saturn SL2, 1993 Suburban,