[TR] TR6: Pertronix ignition, worth switching to?

Btmfdchn at aol.com Btmfdchn at aol.com
Fri Sep 14 13:51:59 MDT 2007

In a message dated 9/14/2007 11:37:22 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
one_second_zero at yahoo.com writes:

Hi, I  saw that TRF has the Pertronix electronic ignition on sale this
weekend for  $89 and was wondering if those of you who are using this set up would
recommend it.  I'm currently running stock points and haven't really had  any
specific problems with reliability, but have wondered if my still slightly
erratic idle might be ignition related. (I just had the carbs sent away and
rebuilt and tuned them, so they *should* be fine.)  So, those that have  used the
Pertronix, are you happy with the results and the quality?  Does  it really
gain anything over stock points?  Do I have to use the their  coil with it or
can I use the OEM Lucas sports coil (which I just bought)?

Greetings...   I've used Pertronix on 2 cars and both eventually  failed.
After talking to the people at Pertronix, I've installed one in my  66 TR4a
engine with the Pertronix coil as they the Ignitors seem to be somewhat  sensitive
to coil resistance.  They also suggest but don't require radio  suppression
wires.  The 66 now has Pertronix Ignitor and their coil and I  converted to the
MGB top entrance cap (using the Italian made bits from  Autozone) with
Magnecor wires.  Works great.  The thing that had the  greatest impact on how the
cars ran was getting the distributors rebuilt so no  shaft slop and a proper
curve.  That made a bigger difference than just the  Pertronix alone.  The 61
also has a rebuilt distributor and is running  points (CarQuest Standard Motor
Parts) but with the side entrance cap, Packard  440 wire and Rajah terminals
(old hotrodder here) and it runs as well as the car  with Pertronix.  The big
difference will be the need to fiddle with the  points down the line.    TJ