[TR] TR3 metal pipe to bottom radiator hose

CarlSereda at aol.com CarlSereda at aol.com
Fri Sep 14 10:37:46 MDT 2007

Mike,
I heard TRIUMPH made the lower radiator pipe longer when they discovered
clamps on hoses weren't quite fully overlapping onto the short pipe cars coming
out of the factory - not sure if that was for TR3 or TR4 though. My OE TR4 pipe
was about 2 1/2 inches longer than the NOS short pipe I bought and returned
last year from eBay. You should be able to configure your new pipe on a TR3 to
fit with trimming. Just make sure you end up with plenty of hose overlap and
ample clearance all around upper area.. I've seen steel pipe worn through as
well as hoses and clamps ruined due to changing clearances (and subsequent
rubbing on nearby items) when engine torques around. On the TR4 the bend in steel
pipe is down on the low side.
Carl
'63 TR4 since '74

A couple of dumb questions.... The metal pipe that goes to the bottom radiator
hose on a TR3. My old pipe had rusted until a hole appeared so I ordered a new
one from Moss. The new one is longer than the old one so the first question
is; is the new pipe the correct length and the old pipe was cut for what ever
reason by the previous owner or does the new pipe need to be trimmed? I
haven't actually tried the new pipe on the car yet to see what the length
looks like installed. Also, I assume that the bend in the pipe goes toward the
bottom, correct?
Mike Denman<BR><BR><BR>**************************************<BR> See what's
new at http://www.aol.com</HTML>