[TR] My worst car ever

DLylis at aol.com DLylis at aol.com
Tue Sep 11 18:07:14 MDT 2007

Oddly, the worst car I ever owned, I loved.  1968 SAAB 96.  It  started
poorly in the cold weather and eventually left me stranded in New  England on a
cold December evening with a seized engine.  I still  loved it.  It was rare for
those times and "intellectuals" drove  them.  OK so I'm not that bright.
I talked a friend of mine into buying one as I liked it so much.  As  you may
recall the car was a four on the column.  My friend drove a  Chevy pickup for
his everyday car with a three speed on the column.  His  wife drove the SAAB.

One cold and snowy evening he pushed the front wheel drive to the limit on
an icy road and lost control.  The car slid off the road and headed  straight
for a tree.  God was looking down upon him and he got the car to  stop a scant
foot from the tree.  He threw it into "reverse" (remember the  three speed
Chevy?) revved it and let out the clutch.  The damage to the  front of the car
was about $1000.  (1970's)

David  Lylis
69 TR6 CC26160L
60 TR3A TS74461LO