[TR] TR4 Minor Gas Leaks

Randall tr3driver at ca.rr.com
Tue Sep 11 13:01:08 MDT 2007

> I've seen enough small drips of gas from the bottom of my carbs jets,
> float bowls and around the fuel pump to question the list as
> to what is
> going on.
>
> What's going on?
>
> Is there to much alcohol in the gas now, and I'm looking at rotting
> gasket seals and O-rings ?  My records show that the last carb rebuild
> was in 1999.  That's not even a decade ago.

Is this an early TR4 with SU H6 carbs ?  In that case, I'd say you got
remarkably good life from the jet and float bowl seals, mine used to only
last 2-3 years (of daily driving) before they would start to drip.

Otherwise, I wouldn't be at all surprised if your rebuild was done with old
components that won't stand up to modern gasoline.  Some parts of the US
(like where I live) had this problem a long time ago, but others are just
now getting into it.

Randall