[TR] unaccounted for thin light colored wire at the regulator

Randall tr3driver at ca.rr.com
Sun Sep 9 23:29:41 MDT 2007

> On installing my wiring harness on my TR3A it seems that I
> have encountered an unknown wire.  This small light colored
> wire emerges along with the other wires intended for the
> regulator.  The wiring chart shows these wires for the
> regulator: brown/blue, brown/white, yellow/green, yellow and
> black to the E terminal.  However, I have an extra light
> colored wire that seems to be that is just about the same
> color as the faded yellow (which happens to be a thicker gauge wire.)

There are two yellow wires to the regulator, perhaps you are looking at the
second one ?  It should run to the red warning light on the dash.  Then the
other side of the warning light is wired to the white wire from the ignition
switch (so you would see voltage on the yellow wire if you were checking
with a voltmeter).

In effect, the warning light compares the output voltage of the generator
(which is the heavy yellow wire) to the ignition circuit voltage (white
wire).

Randall