[TR] OD Conversion Notes Part 1

acekraut11 at aol.com acekraut11 at aol.com
Sun Sep 9 21:49:08 MDT 2007

Hi List,

Over the last week work was completed on my 71 TR6 that included
installing a new OD gearbox, lightened flywheel, Gunst bearing and Borg
& Beck clutch components.? I had posted a question to the list
regarding what experiences the list members had with a Borg & Beck
bent finger clutch installation with the Gunst throw-out bearing since
I already had the B&B clutch and TRF recommended not using the B
& B set-up with the Gunst bearing.? I received two responses, one
with no bearing noise and one with.? I took great care to make sure
that I used the included dowel pins, and a clutch alignment tool to
make sure everything was centered.? The result is that the bearing
makes no noise to this point.

I am very happy to report that all the components are in and the OD and
various components all work very well with no apparent problems to
date.? Insert big sigh of relief here.? Major thanks must go to list
member Rick Patton, who was kind enough to lend me a garage bay, his
lift, and most importantly, his experience and support.? He and his
wife will be treated to dinner this coming weekend at the British
Invasion as a small measure of my gratitude.

I thought I might pass along what I believe might be some interesting tidbits and observations now that everything is done.

The flywheel was lightened from 28 pounds to about 23 pounds.? Not a
huge amount of weight savings but I didnt want to weaken the flywheel
since my feet are rather close to its spinning mass.? There may be a
slight improvement in performance with the weight savings but
considering all the changes to the driveline it is hard to pinpoint
what component is responsible for what.

The first time the everything was installed the clutch would not
release.? Taking everything apart revealed that the clutch fork had
slipped off the bronze carrier during the pushing and pulling while
installing the gearbox and slid in behind the bronze carrier, moving
the bearing forward enough so it wouldnt release after everything was
tightened up.? After discovering the problem the solution was to use
baling wire to hold the cross shaft in a fixed position so the fork
could not slip off the carrier.? I would suggest this tip to anyone
installing a gearbox with any type of bearing.

to be continued.....

Aaron Cropley
71 TR6 (Throttle Body Injection!)
http://www.triumphowners.com/108