[TR] TR250 Alternator Conversion

Randall tr3driver at ca.rr.com
Thu Sep 6 08:51:56 MDT 2007

> I need to replace the original alternator on my TR250.
>  I would like to install the Bosch unit but I'm having
> trouble finding the right one at my local parts houses
> (O'Reilly & Autozone).

Chad, I'm not sure it fits a TR250.  The TR250 had an externally regulated
alternator, like the early Stag, and at least the Stag unit (11AC) takes
different mountings than the later ACR (internally regulated) Lucas
alternators.

Obviously the wiring is different, too.  Since the advantage of the Bosch
unit is that it takes the same plug as the TR6, but you won't have that plug
(which I consider a weak spot); I would suggest that you look into one of
the other conversion alternators (like a Delco 12Si or CS130) with an output
stud instead of a quick connect.  Check out
http://www.vtr.org/maintain/alternator/conversions.shtml
for more info.

> I also have a NAPA and CarQuest nearby.  If you have a p/n
> from those places, I could go check with them.

NAPA should have no trouble at all looking up an alternator for a 78-80 Ford
Fiesta, with AC (or some books list it as "with Bosch alternator" or "heavy
duty electrical").  Certainly my local store had no trouble with it.

Some other part numbers that might work :
Ford (?) D8RZ-10346-AX
Beck-Arnley number is 186-0137
http://catservices.wrencheadpro.com/smartpages/partinfo_resize/BAR/bar_186-0
137.htm
Apparently AC-Delco has it under 334-1058
Bosch 0-120-489-048
Bosch 0-120-489-090
Bosch 0-120-489-091
Bosch 0-120-489-093