[TR] TR6 Problem, TR4

Dave1massey at cs.com Dave1massey at cs.com
Wed Sep 5 06:07:29 MDT 2007

In a message dated 9/4/2007 9:29:18 PM Central Daylight Time,
TR250Driver at aol.com writes:
> Hummmm, I have a Lucas red top Sports Coil on the Six.  It was present
> when
> I purchased the car and I have continued to run that type although I have
> replaced it with one that has a cool original decal.  For years I ran the
> Six
> with an original Lucas rotor with no problems.  At VTR in Richmond the
> original
> went South due to a broken locating pin.  Really made the Six run  crappy so
>
> I had to put a replacement type in. That one blew up on the Fun Rallye  at
> Richmond as I pulled into the Parking Deck.   Remember that  Dave?  Now I
> have
> another blown rotor, replacement type after a few  thousand miles????

I don't remember that but I remember swapping rotors on a TR6 on the Dinner
drive.

I lost two rotors in close succession on the TR8.  I carry several spares at
all times.  And I heard of an Austin Healey owner replacing his rotor twice
(or more) in the same day.

I also heard a story of a car that would idle OK but when the throttle was
opened it would stumble and die.  What was happening was with the throttle
closed the voltage required to jump the spark plug gap was lower but as the
throttle was opened and the pressure in the cylinder increased the voltage required
to jump the gap increased to the point that the rotor started to break down.
But it sure acted like a fuel problem.

Rotors are cheap, small, and easy to replace.  The argument against carrying
several spares is pretty weak.

Dave