[TR] removing gasket goo

Randall tr3driver at ca.rr.com
Tue Sep 4 17:37:03 MDT 2007

> What product will remove gasket goo?

I picked up a can of Loctite "Gasket Chisel" spray that seems to work
reasonably well.  Spray it on and let it soak for a bit, it will loosen the
top layer.  Then scrape/wipe that off, lather rinse & repeat until you are
down to clean metal.  Seemed like it would dissolve shellac & RTV without
attacking steel or alloy; had a somewhat lesser effect on gasket material
but would soften that as well.  I'm kind of impatient, so it might work
better if you let it soak longer.

Got mine from MMC :
http://www.mcmaster.com/nav/enter.asp?pagenum=3303
tho no doubt there are cheaper places.